Well, I haven't been able to get a response form Frank Kipe in 6 weeks- hope nothing bad has happened to him but I have to get another architect if I'm going to stay on schedule.
So I called Gary Spry, of Winchester. He's the one who drew the plans for Susan Miller over at Bluegrass Chevre. Check her out at www.bleugrasschevre.com.
And we have made the mometous decision that we are paying cash. For everything. Construction, equipment, operating expenses. Which means another momentous decision: reduce the amount we are putting into formal retirement accounts. We aren't reducing the amount we are putting away- just putting it into a different investment.
The sheep are worrying me. I think I may have to deworm them- despite being in good flesh and showing no evidence of diarrhea I have had a lamb die of (lab confirmed) parasitism. That is unacceptable to me- but how do I maintain genetic progress toward building a flock that is genetically tolerant of parasites? FAMACHA seems useless in situations like these- there isn't any detectable anemia. Not sure what to do. It has been an ung=believably rainy summer, which has surely contributed. And I still don't have my fence the way I need it, also contributing.
I'll keep you posted!